CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Lock Birth Timeline

Thursday, February 12, 2009

I Did it!!!




Sisterlocks all installed whooo hoooo. A total of 26 hours totalling 404 micro and small sized sisterlocks. The install, while long, was worth it knowing I never have to sit for that long again!! My loctician Shannon Scott, was awesome and patient for putting up with all this hair, standing on her feet for that many hours five months pregenant. She never sacraficed or took short cuts. The parting is impeccible and the tension and sizes of the locks consistant. She rents space in at Doubletake Salon at 21st and Broadway in Sacramento. Shannon now has 51 Sisterlock clients as well as many traditional locked clients. I chose Shannon not only because she comes highly recommended by locked sisters in the Sacramento area, but because she believes in all aspects of organic and natural care. Her styling products are all created by a local african american esty using organic ingredients. Having lupus, it was important to me that my loctician understand that I favored a more holistic lifestyle in general.

I also chose her due to her care of her clients. For the first 6 months, she likes to see her new clients every two to three weeks to monitor their progress. The biweekly visits include washing, styling, retightening and overall assessments of lock progress. Talk about full service, I don't have to braid and band because she will do it for me!!!! AWESOME.
But enough about Shannon, I will share more about her as well as pics of her beautiful, healthy traditional locks after my next retightening.

As far as the look, well it doesn't look quite as I expected. I thought that it would be much fuller, but I know that Sisterlocks are very chameleon like and will shape shift quite a bit throughout this journey. I will make it a priority to post updated pics at least biweekly after my salon visits for the first 6 months. I know that some changes can be subtle and I don't want to miss any phases.

My scalp is a bit dry and itchy, which is common for me after braiding. I just applied a bit of rosehip oil mixed with clove and peppermint oil, which seemed to solve the issue so far. I did make a spritz of spring water that I heated and seeped with nettle, chamomile, flax seed, horsetail, rose, calendula, clove and lavender in a cheese cloth. I then added some sweet orange, rosemary and GSE to preserve it. I was considering adding some veggie glycerine, but it can make hair hard and brittle in the cold months, so I decided against it. I did make another smaller spritz bottle with the same solution but added a bit of jojoba oil (20%) mixed with rosehip (50%) and sweet almond oil (30%) for those dry scalp days. I chose a majority of rosehip oil as it absorbs into the scalp almost immediately, so no build up.

Here is the one pic of the final outcome, more pics of the parting etc to come, I am just still really drained.

12 comments:

Shavonne said...

I'm so happy! It's like I got my hair done but didn't. I'll have to live through you.

Your loctician is dedicated if she has that many clients and can stand for as long as she did at five months pregnant.

Shavonne said...

Cute! I like the picts.

foxydiva said...

Awww thanks so much...I'm still getting used to it. The braid out helped a bit, Just can't wait for it to get fuller. I am keeping it tied down because I can't seem to keep my hands out of my hair. Still not sure about these ends though...Hoping they will settle soon.

Now when are you jumping the broom little lady????

Shavonne said...

When am I getting married? Don't I have to have a groom first?

Naturally Sophia said...

Thanks for sending me the e-mail love. YOu have a head full of beautiful hair already. I had a full mane when I started too. Responsing to the e-mail now. Welcome to the Sisterlocks sisterhood!

Amina said...

Welcome,

It's nice to see your story. Good luck, and keep posting! It looks great so far!

Phoenix Rising said...

Welcome to the family! Your hair looks marvelous.

foxydiva said...

LOL @ Shavonne, I meant the Sisterlocks broom. I have an intimate relationship with my hair so I often refer to it in relationship type terms. I even took my new locks on a date. But then again, I am a bit of an odd ball.

foxydiva said...

Ms. Sophia ~

Thank you so much for blessing my blog with a comment. I feel special having someone I consider a blogsphere celeb commenting on my spot. I hope to be as diligent jounaling my journey as you are.

foxydiva said...

Ms. Amina thanks so much for your comment and compliment. Your locks look incredible as well. You have so many, they are so full. I am going to have to lock stalk you as well. I thought mine were small and micro but I think they may be small micro and med. I am also curious to see how your henna is holding up!!!

foxydiva said...

Ms. Phoenix~

Love that handle!! Thank you for your comments. Your locks are lovely as well. Its fun to see someone else with the same lock birth year as myself. We can have fun comparing notes!!!

Gena said...

Oh Wow! Your sisterlocks are beautiful... You started with alot of hair, be prepare for it to grow alot. regarding your ends...I didn't like my ends in the beginning, but after my first retighten, they curled up. April, make 1yr, and my ends are still curly and the buds fell off. My consultant tell me it will stay that way, however, it give me a wild kind of look, but sometimes, I would like to wear it a little straight. Maybe I will flat iron like some other sisterlocs, but it's been over a year since I added heat to my hair. Don't worry, your locs will turn out pretty.