CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Lock Birth Timeline

Monday, December 29, 2008

Mama's first Brazilian Wax

Ok, so I took the plunge and went in for a famed Brazilian wax. Being as picking as I am about shoes and they only go on my feet, you KNOW I had to do my research to decide who was best equippted to deal with my lady biz. After pouring over webpage after webpage, I finally found a salon in my price range with great reviews. I was planning on having it done after I got my SL's, but found myself with some free time, so went ahead and gave Charmed Salon in Roseville, Ca a call.


Dang, I was all bummed out because I got voicemail, but then my call waiting beeped. I click over and hear "I am so sorry, wasn't able to get to the phone fast enough, how may I help you?" Taken aback at the pleasantness of the voice at 0900, I asked "Is this Charmed?" "Yes, the voice replies, how may I help you?"

I inform her that I am interested in a brazilian wax. She asks me if I was open to coming in today as she had an appointment @ 11. I say to myself "Why not," and book the appointment. She took my name and phone number and gave me the name of my waxer, Valerie. 

At promptly 45 min prior to my appointment, I apply No Scream Cream from Relax and Wax. It promises to relieve 80% of waxing pain. I used darn near half the tube!!!

I arrive about 10 min early, just incase I have to sign a release or something...I'm totally lying, its so I wouldn't chicken out. As I enter, I am greeted and asked who my appointment is with. I give Valerie's name and am instantly impressed that I this establishment is considerate enough to not have me announce to an entire salon (although it was empty,) that I was having my cooter depelted. 

I take a seat and moments later, Valerie comes out. She lets me know it will be a few min and then she will be right with me.

When it's my turn, Valerie takes me into the waxing room, instructs me to disrobe from the waist down, where to place my head etc etc.

She asks me about my prior hair removal methods and explains to me the two types of wax she will use. She also explained that she would require me to pull some of the skin taut to ensure proper hair removal. 

I have heard all the stories about legs and bodies in contorted yoga type positions in order to remove all the crevice hair, but I only had to do two. The first was frog legs, which is basically feet bottoms together and knees agape and flush to the waxing table.

She cleaned the area first, checked it out while wearing her handy dandy miners light, then applied powder. She then applied the soft wax to the upper parts as she explained that she would. 

Ok babies, I'm not even gonna front, this mess HURT. If the No Scream Cream lessened waxing pain by 80%-90%  then I would have to say, ladies (and brave gents) don't do it, run like the wind and slap the face of anyone that tells this is a good idea lol. But even though it hurt, once the smarting subsided (after 10-15 seconds,) it was fine. 

Next she moved on to the labia, which actually hurt LESS than the mound. She applied a harder wax, which takes longer to set, so she used the setting time to pluck some of the stray hairs that broke during waxing, which can happen when being waxed after being a shaver for a long time.

***all of the above done in the same frog leg position, nothing contorted or uncomfortable, well any MORE uncomfortable than having hair ripped from your womanly place*****

So after the labia wax set, she did a little bit of picking to lift the edges, then ripped them off.. Now this hurt less than the prior area, but still smarted a bit..

Then she moved to the back, which actually, felt like a reg eyebrow wax, didn't smart much at all, which was suprising.

She asked me if I was prone to ingrown hairs and I stated yes. She suggested exfoliating a few days after being waxed a few days a week as well as using the PBF roll on exfoliator I have a few times a week and a few days prior to waxing. 

Valerie also explained that while waxing can last 3-4 weeks, some people do need to be touched up every two weeks depending on the speed of hair growth.

After the ordeal was done, I was able to walk regular, although I did stick my chones in the ziploc bag I bought in my pocketbook as I thought I would be sore and didn't want to further irritate the situation. I did have a few red bumps when I got home, but nothing  a little visine couldn't handle.  

All this care and attention for the low price of $50. Great price, great service, will come again for sure'


Charmed Salon
104 Lincoln Street
Roseville ,CA 95678
(916)772-3555
http://www.charmedsalonroseville.com/

7 comments:

Shavonne said...

I did the math and it would be cheaper for me to get the laser hair removal.

But thanks for sharing this story. It was a great read. You're so brave.

foxydiva said...

Shavonne, yippie!!!! Thanks for leaving my first comment.. Touch ups are only $25 about every 4 weeks I am guessing because I have yet to sprout any hairs down there just yet. Happy New Year

Shavonne said...

And then there's the pain issue. LOL. I waxed my upper lip once and nearly removed my lip. I wasn't a pretty sight to have scabs all over my top lip. I can only imagine what when through everyone's mind. I actually wish I had pictures.

It's a honor to be the first to comment on your blog.

foxydiva said...

LOL it did hurt, but wasn't a lingering pain. Man, I thought I had some hair on my head, your hair is beautimus!!!!

I agree with you about Phyllis. I would love to have her as my consultant, but could you just imagine having to pay for plane tickets AND retightenings with all that hair on your head girl.

Someone on the LockitUp forums mentioned a consultant in the LA area, but unfortunately, I didn't keep the info. You may want to check out or contact Brunsli via her blog as I know she lives in SoCal and can prob give some great, practical info on a consultant (or two with all that hair, and yes I am jealous lol.) I think you would look great with Sisterlocks, take the plunge!!!!!

Shavonne said...

Yes, Phyllis is great but she would only have done the install because of the distance. I don't mind someone doing the retightenings but I want someone who knows how to part to do the install. I've seen some questionable parting in the back of some heads. Just because a client can't see the back of her head doesn't mean other people can't and there's no excuse for going sloppy.

I will cut my hair before I get Sisterlocks. I'm not afraid of scissors plus I'm not trying to spend 4+ days sitting in somebody's chair. The hair will grow back.

new2locs said...

OMG!!!! All I felt was pain when I read this! LOL!!!!! I love the detail you gave it just let's me know that it's not something I would consider. LOL I'll stick to the razor!

foxydiva said...

LOL new2, thanks for commenting. I just went in for my touch up today and can actually say, I only had one ouchie moment. My gal said usually shaving converts have a tough first time.

Even a friend of mind who had a first experience way worse than mine, says my lady is very talented, so I can only imagine how much worse it would be with an amature.

Even though the 1st one was darn near hell, its a great confidence booster. Im gonna be off the chain when I get my SL's AND have a fresh brazilian, honey HUSH lol.